Deviare API Hook Overview
Deviare API is a professional API hook engine that was designed to create end user products. Intercepting applications is a complex task which can take place in many different scenarios. We continually test all these scenarios to avoid unpleasent crashes that might cause the end user to uninstall your product. Most popular Hook engines do not address these issues. Although they work in many situations, a trully professional hook engine must work in all situations.
Nektra's Deviare API is a generic API interception engine. Its main difference from other hook engines is that it allows you to intercept different functions with a single handler and decide which functions to hook at runtime. To intercept APIs with any other product you have to write a specific handler that runs in the target process context. In contrast, Deviare API supplies a generic handler and you receive calls in your own process. See Design for more details.
Deviare API provides a COM interface supported by most programming languages such as C++, Delphi, VB, VBA, VB.SCRIPT, VB.NET, C# and Python.
Nektra created the Deviare API in 2007 and we continually update it. You can ask any technical question on the Deviare Forum and we will answer promptly.
API Hooking can be used in these different fields:
- To teach about internal behavior of the Windows Operating System and the behavior of the external applications', without access to their source code.
- To trace and debug an application's code execution, showing its API calls and parameters.
- For browser sandboxing or browser security.
- For malware analysis.
- To virtualize applications.
- To record VoIP applications like Skype, G-Talk or Msn. See our Audio Recorder SDK